Process scanned and electronic PDF documents imported from folders or email inboxes.
More than ever, documents arrive as electronic PDFs attached to an email or are scanned with MFP devices (multi-functional printers / digital copiers).
MFPs are not directly connected to an end-user PC like a traditional scanner, but are network devices scanning documents as PDF files to folders or email.
MetaServer is developed with this new trend in mind. It can watch folders and email inboxes and, regardless of the input, process the scanned PDF files and electronic PDF email attachments. It dynamically names and organizes them using text extraction and easy to configure rules.
It automatically switches between electronic text extraction, in case of electronic PDFs attached to emails, and OCR extraction, in case of a scanned image.
Typically, organizations use their MFPs to generate PDF files with a random name generated by the machine. Next, the user finds the PDF file, renames it and puts it in the correct folder structure. This process is OK for the occasional scan but if you have to process multiple documents, it is cumbersome and prone to error.
This is where MetaServer comes in. You just scan the documents and that’s it. Relevant data is automatically extracted and used to organize the PDFs in folders and apply a meaningful name to each PDF.
- Import PDF files from folders and sub folders
- Watch email inboxes and detach PDF attachments
- Separate and organize documents based on rules
- Auto-Detect PDF Type: Extract data accessing the text of an electronic PDF without passing through OCR or automatically use OCR if the PDF is image-only
- Complete data by means of database lookup
- Check validity of data using validation rules
- Export the result to one or more destinations of choice
For example, if you scan a large number of invoices with the ADF (Automatic Document Feeder) of a multifunctional printer, they arrive as a single PDF containing multiple invoices. Based on rules, you can automatically separate them, but you can also do manual separation and organization with the Organizer.
With the Organizer, you can visually separate the PDF using virtual separator sheets. The Organizer can also be used to delete pages and change the sequence of the documents.
- Select Text tool
- Select Barcode tool
- Database Lookup
- Manual Data entry
To speed up the validation process, the extracted data is highlighted on the document. If the data is found on another page, the correct page is automatically displayed.
For example, the total amount on the document below was found on the last page in the bottom corner. By simply navigating in the Total Due field, the viewer jumps to the last page and highlights the zone where the data was found.
Validation can be configured to only display documents with invalid data. Documents with correct data would go straight through without any user interaction.
scanned to folder or emails arrive in
watched email inbox
|MetaServer automatically processes these documents||Optionally, use the
to organize and validate
|The documents are exported to the specified destination(s)|
MetaServer configurations are defined in the Administration section in the “Workflows” tab.
In a workflow you define how to process a certain document type. It’s a combination of actions and rules to process the document and goes all the way from import over extraction, validation to final export.
Typically, you have a workflow per document type. For example, a vendor invoice workflow, a POD workflow, a delivery ticket workflow and so on.
In combination with a multi-functional printer, you would define hot buttons for each workflow that scan to the correct folder watched by each workflow.
Scan buttons on your MFP panel could, for example, look like this:
This is how a workflow looks like in MetaServer:
A workflow consists of different actions. Examples of these actions are:
- Import from Folder
- Export to Folder
To construct a workflow, you simply add actions using the Add button.
This is a short summary of the available actions:
- Import Email: import email from a specified inbox (using IMAP).
- Import from Folder: import PDF files from a specified folder and its sub folders.
- Separate Document: automatically separate documents based on rules.
- Organize: send the file to the organizer to visually separate the document, edit the order of pages, delete pages, etc.
- Extract: define a sequence of rules to extract and format data.
- Validate: based on the validation rules, send invalid documents to the validation viewer to complete or check the data.
- Delete Page(s): automatically delete certain pages of the document.
- Export to Email: send the result to a specified email address.
- Export to Folder: send the result to a folder or FTP Server.
- Forward Email: forward the original imported email to a specified email address.
If a PDF first needs to be manually separated in multiple PDFs or re-organized, you can first go through the Organizer.
The Organizer is another view mode in the client and looks like this:
- Reject set
- Triple undo
2) In Organizer / In Validation: total documents currently in the Organizer / Validation.
3) Skipped: total documents that were skipped in Organizer / Validation.
The counters between parentheses show the total reserved documents in that mode.
How Does MetaServer Compare to Kofax Express with MetaTool?
Kofax Express with MetaTool is recommended when you want to use a production scanner directly connected to your PC through USB. Production scanners are ideal for high-speed, high-volume document scanning.
MetaServer is recommended in combination with MFPs, networked devices, network scanners or scan-to-folder oriented systems such as Fujitsu ScanSnap. It is also recommended to process electronic PDFs or documents that arrive as attachments to email.