Xerox DocuShare Export Connector
Export documents directly into DocuShare collections and map index fields with object properties
Xerox DocuShare features document management, collaboration, review and approval.
When combined with Kofax Express and the CaptureBites™ DocuShare export connector, DocuShare provides a complete end-to-end document management solution.
The CaptureBites DocuShare Export Connector interacts directly with a DocuShare server and can send documents in PDF or TIFF format to DocuShare collections and sub-collections. It can also update standard and custom DocuShare object properties with Kofax Express index values.
Learn more about Xerox DocuShare
Objects are similar to content types in SharePoint and Object properties are similar to columns in SharePoint. The term "Title" in DocuShare refers to the name of the document as it will appear in the list of documents in a DocuShare collection.
For more information about Xerox DocuShare, visit the product page here.
1. Capabilities of the CaptureBites DocuShare Export Connector
- Test connection with DocuShare server directly from the setup panel
- Export in TIFF, PDF, PDF/A, Searchable and/or Super Compressed PDF format
- Browse to a DocuShare collection to define which collection to export documents to
- Build up a path and title with Kofax Express index fields, system values (export date, time, document number, etc.) or fixed values
- DocuShare standard properties: Author, Summary, Description and Keywords can be mapped with Kofax Express index fields.
- Documents can be uploaded as a custom object type (also known as custom document type).
- Custom object type properties can be mapped with Kofax Express index fields
2. Getting up and running quickly with the trial.
Please read below detailed instructions and important tips about each setting below.
3. First install and configure the DocuShare Client
After installing the DocuShare connector (see download link on top of this page) and installing and configuring the DocuShare Client, create a new job in Kofax Express.
In the Job Setup tab, select the DocuShare export connector and press the setup button.
Instead of creating a job, you can also modify the CaptureBites DocuShare demo job that comes with the connector.
5. Server Settings
- URL: Enter the URL of your DocuShare server. The URL requires a trailing "/" at the end to connect successfully.
- User name and password: Enter your user name and password to login to your DocuShare server
- Domain: If you know your domain name enter it here, but be aware that the domain name is case sensitive. If you're not sure what your DocuShare domain is, leave this field blank and the default domain name will be used. A default DocuShare installation's domain name = DocuShare (notice the capital D and capital S).
Test your connection by pressing Connect.
If you fail to connect, check the connection settings directly with the DocuShare client (refer to the Xerox DocuShare Client help and documentation to learn how to configure and use the DocuShare client).
If you can connect successfully with the DocuShare client and browse for collections in windows, you'll be able to connect successfully with the DocuShare export connector as well.
6. File Type
- File Type drop down: Select one of the supported formats.
- PDF and PDF/A formats can be further configured by means of the setup button to configure following options:
- Color Super Compression
- Enable OCR to generate a searchable PDF (both image over text or text over image are supported)
Note: Color Super Compression preserves color elements in the images but reduces the file size to the file size of a black & white image.
8. Title (or Path)
The term "Title" in DocuShare refers to the name of the document as it will appear in the list of documents in a DocuShare collection.
Define the "Title" using a combination of Kofax Express fields, system values and fixed values. Use "/" in the Title to dynamically create sub-collections. In other words, the Title definition does not only contain the name of the document but can also include the complete path where each document will be stored. During export, the CaptureBites connector will check whether a sub-collection already exists and if needed will create one.
The Setup button next to the Title opens a menu of possible values you can use to define the Title.
9. Object Type and Property Mapping
Most DocuShare users make use of custom Object Types (also known as custom document types). Each custom Object Type has its own range of custom properties. For example Invoice Documents will have Invoice Number, Invoice Date and Supplier Name as custom properties. Medical Documents will have Patient ID, Patient Name and BirthDate as custom properties.
You can select a standard or custom Object type from the drop down box and the CaptureBites connector will retrieve all its standard and custom properties from the DocuShare server. Just select for each of the properties a matching Kofax Express index field. You have the option to leave any of the DocuShare properties unmapped, unless of course a property is defined as required in DocuShare. The CaptureBites connector will check for required properties that are unmapped and will give a warning when this occurs.
- Some of the object types such as String, Text or URL have a maximum length defined in DocuShare. During export, the CaptureBites connector will check whether a value fits the maximum length of a DocuShare property and will generate a clear message when it doesn't. It is recommended to define a maximum length for each Kofax Express index field that corresponds with its matching DocuShare object property.
- Boolean properties only accepts 0 or 1 as value. You can define a choice list field in Kofax Express to assure that only 0 or 1 can be selected.
- Date Fields need to be send in a specific format to DocuShare. Define the data format as it is used in Kofax Express in the Date format field. Based on the defined format, the CaptureBites connector can convert the dates to a format that is compatible with DocuShare. Make use of the Setup button to use the correct format syntax. For example the date format YYYY?MM?DD will accept dates such 2011-12-06 or 2011/12/06.
- DocuShare Menu properties are the equivalent to choice lists in Kofax Express. DocuShare Menus can be defined to accept single or multiple values to be selected. An example of a multi-select menu can be a patient being treated by several physicians. In that case just enter the multiple values in a single Kofax Express field separated by commas.
- The Float type is typically used for amounts and accepts decimals. Make sure that the decimal point on the system that runs Kofax Express is defined the same as it is defined on the DocuShare server.
Note: If the export fails, it is often related with a field set to be required in DocuShare but which is left empty in Kofax Express. If a field is allowed to be empty in Kofax Express be sure to define the field as not required in DocuShare.
10. The DocuShare client is constantly asking to login
If the DocuShare client constantly asks to login during export, the DocuShare client logon method is not configured correctly. Open the DocuShare client setup panel, select the General tab and make sure "Use single password to log onto all accounts" is selected. Enter and confirm the password used by the account used in the DocuShare export connector.
Combine this product with CaptureBites MetaTool for advanced index extraction and more
Use this product in combination with CaptureBites MetaTool for advanced index extraction, keyword document separation, floating data extraction, multi-field and drill down database lookup and other advanced functionality.
To learn more about MetaTool, press any of the feature buttons below.
The MetaTool presents itself as a standard Kofax Express export connector and passes through extracted data and processed images to an export destination of choice such as Email, Folder Structure, FTP Server, Database, MS SharePoint Server & Online, Alfresco, OpenText Content Server, Xerox DocuShare, or other DMS systems.
About the download and included demo jobs
The download button on top of this page installs a functional version of this CaptureBites product. It also includes some demo images and a demo job to show the functionality.
In demo mode, a demo seal will be stamped in all exported images. You can switch the demo version to full production mode by entering an activation code which you can purchase from our partners. You can continue using any of the jobs you configured in demo mode after activation of the software.
If you don't have Kofax Express yet, you can download a trial from here.